Saturday 15 March 2014

Thoughts on Travel and ME

I have recently returned from several days away.  I went to Crufts to see my daughter compete in YKC Agility.  It was worth every moment - but a bit more tricky to accomplish now that I have ME.


In this post I'll just list a few things that I think helped me to get home again without a major relapse.  Perhaps these ideas will be useful for others:

1. We took the overnight ferry  (Belfast to Liverpool), rather than a shorter crossing with more driving.  I also used one of the on-board wheelchairs to get between the cabin and the car deck lifts. 

2. Declaring that I was disabled to the ferry company, meant that they boarded us early and also parked us close to the lifts on the car deck. This made things much easier. 

3.  I used my "wee scooter" in the hotel, as hotel corridors are surprisingly long.  Tim also brought my breakfast back up to our room for me in the mornings.


4.  I used a full size scooter with arm rests inside Crufts.  I also brought a travel pillow so that I could lean forward and rest draped over the scooter handles occasionally!  (& Yes that is dog bedding I'm sitting on - very comfy!)


4. I wore my hat indoors too. I have never been good with glare, and the artificial lights inside are no easier to tolerate than bright sun.  So the hat stayed on!

5.  I brought ear plugs and wore them for a large part of the time inside the halls.  (Long hair is useful for hiding this...)

6.  I took one whole day where I rested in the hotel room.  I just hung the "Do Not Disturb" sign up and chilled, slept and checked a couple of things on FB!  I was really ready for this, and so not at all sad to see the others heading out without me.

7.  My actual trips into Crufts were half days, and I didn't race round shopping like mad.  I did buy a few things though, and even managed to meet a few friends.  (More on the actual trip here and here.)


One final thing that helped - understanding companions, and family; who made everything easy for me.  xx


8 comments:

  1. So glad you got great service with ferry companies. Takes a lot of the hassle away. Great tip about the hat and lights. I might try this when I'm on a plane next. Were you ok on the ferry?
    Sian

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ferry was good. I was a bit "wired" on the way out so sleep was erratic, but the cabin was grand. I slept amazingly well during the home crossing though!!

      Delete
  2. Some good travelling tips, and I'm happy you were able to have the important rest and minimal activity so you could enjoy your time as much as possible. I've never thought of wearing a hat in artificial light, just sunglasses but I think hats are slightly less of an eye drawer when indoors.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hat definitely helped me. I never really like sunglasses, as I always feel obliged to lift them when talking to people.... Mind you if you wear sunglasses then no-one knows if your eyes are open or closed.. ;)

      Delete
  3. Glad you managed to find ways of accommodating your illness to enable you to do the trip, though I'm sure it must have taken it out of you. Obviously it's not the same experience as a healthy person's, but you show how it can still be done with a bit of ingenuity.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Having an incredible family makes all the difference.

      Delete
  4. Thank you for this post. I feel a bit more 'normal' after reading it. I don't travel well, 20 minutes being my max and have found that using ear plugs helps. Shopping centres are my pitfall as the glare gets to me. Reading your post makes me feel less alone and more 'normal'. Thank you. Tricia (S. Aust, found you via the ME/CFS Australia FB group)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad it helps! It is strange "admitting" that I did these things though.... so hearing that it has helped others makes all the difference. xx

      Delete